Women's Lacrosse Falls to Hendrix in Final Game of Season

Women's Lacrosse Falls to Hendrix in Final Game of Season
In the final game of the season, the Oglethorpe women's lacrosse team challenged the Hendrix Warriors on Saturday afternoon in an SAA matchup at the Oglethorpe Track and Field. The Petrels were down 9-2 at half, but they fought hard to tie the game up at 12-12 with just under 10 minutes left in the game. The two teams battled it out into the final minutes, where the Warriors scored five straight goals and swung the contest in their favor. The late game run allowed the Warriors to come away with a 17-13 victory.
The Petrels began the first half giving up a goal off a free position shot within the first 30 seconds of the game. They would then hold the Warriors scoreless for the next six minutes until the visitors scored back-to-back goals, pushing the lead out to 3-0. Minutes later, the Petrels' freshman defender Emilee Heffner would score their first goal of the day off a free position shot. The Warriors would answer by scoring three goals in the next four minutes, giving them a 6-1 advantage with 14:40 left in the half. The Petrels would quickly response just 35 seconds later for their second goal of the afternoon. The goal was scored by junior midfielder Precious Buddington off an assist from sophomore defender Dreshona Mapps-Whitmore. After 10 minutes of another strong defensive stand by the Petrels, the Warriors would score three more goals in the final five minutes of the first, resulting in the Petrels trailing 9-2 at halftime.
The Petrels came out of halftime refusing to give up. Both teams played tough defense, but the Petrels were the first to score in the second half. Junior midfielder Caroline Chamberlain was the Petrel credited with the goal, and it was assisted by sophomore midfielder Jill Czaplinski. Seconds later, the Warriors would answer again with a goal themselves. However, the Petrels would then go on a three-goal run in the next two minutes of play, reducing the Warriors lead to 10-6 with 17:51 left in the game. The three goals were scored by Czaplinski, sophomore attacker Samantha Chap and Chamberlain. With 16:51 left in the game, the Warriors would score their 11th goal of the day. The Petrels continued fighting back, scoring an additional three goals all within the next two minutes. After a free position goal by the Warriors with 13:42 left, the Petrels trailed 12-9. The Petrels completed the comeback at the 9:41 mark, tying the game 12-12. Two goals by sophomore attacker Balie Mitchum and another one by Czaplinski during the stretch provided the scoring. Despite the impressive comeback, though, the Petrels would allow five goals in the final 10 minutes of the game. Oglethorpe's Mitchum would score one last time with 46 seconds left, causing the final score to be 17-13 in favor of the Warriors.
The Petrels had a few standout performances over the course of the afternoon. Chamberlain ended the game earning three goals, collecting four ground balls and winning three draw controls. Mapps-Whitmore led her team with five ground balls and five caused turnovers. Czaplinski recorded three goals, as well as three assists. Mitchum finished the day with four goals and an assist. The Petrels ended the game tying the Warriors with 18 ground balls. The Petrels also successfully cleared the ball on 17 of 19 attempts.
Oglethorpe began the season losing their first 4 games, but then went on a 3-1 stretch in the middle of the season before dropping their final four games. They finished the season a 3-9 overall record and an 0-6 mark in league play.